Burke scheduled to drive at Freehold Saturday
« Return to News
Ron Burke has set multiple records with his training totals and his stable stars over the past decade. But on Saturday, Burke will do something he's only done five times since 2010 and hasn't done since 2016: drive in a pari-mutuel race.
As impressive as his numbers are on the training side, his driving numbers are just as phenomenal. While limited to just four pari-mutuel starts since the start of the decade, Burke has assembled a 2-1-1 slate from those four tries. He'll go for his third win of the 2010s on Saturday (March 10) as Freehold Raceway honours St. Patrick's Day with a special race featuring eight drivers of Irish heritage.
The race will be sponsored by Mary and Peter Grandich of Freehold, N.J. Mary Grandich was born and raised in Ireland and the couple were later married there. They both share a deep connection to Ireland and the Irish culture.
Burke will have his work cut out for him as the pilot of longshot Robby Bobby, listed at 20-1 on the morning line of Freehold's seventh race. The horses and drivers for the 2018 edition of the St. Paddy's Pace are listed below.
1. STEADY PULSE - Mark MacDonald - 4-1
2. BAY RUM - Kevin Mc Dermott - 4-1
3. EXOTIC MATTJESTY - Jim Marshall III - 7-1
4. WELLWESAID - George Brennan - 7-5
5. MAGICAL TELF N - Robert Bresnahan Jr. - 9-1
6. ROBBY BOBBY - Ron Burke - 20-1
7. THEWAYTHEWESTWON - 'Irish' Joe Hanney - 12-1
8. PACIFIC WESTERN - Jim Marohn Jr. - 20-1