Gold Cup and Saucer win causes controversy
August 26, 2009
« Return to News
All The Weapons’ victory Aug. 22 in the $60,000(C) Gold Cup and Saucer at the Charlottetown Driving Park is reportedly in jeopardy because the gelding’s owners violated an Ontario Racing Commission rule that prohibits horses from racing outside of the province for 60 days after being claimed. All The Weapons, a 7-year-old son of Towner’s Big Guy, was claimed for $20,000 on July 3 at Mohawk Racetrack.
“I guess we might be in a little trouble,” co-owner Shirley House told Doug Harkness of Atlantic Post Calls. “We haven’t heard from the commission yet, but understand we could be fined or suspended.”
According to Dr. Paul Hogan, director of racing for the Maritimes Provinces Harness Racing Commission, House and her husband, Kerry, were told before the race they could be subject to a fine or suspension from the Ontario Racing Commission if they started their horse. All The Weapons finished in a dead heat for first in his Aug. 17 Gold Cup and Saucer elim at odds of 9-2, and then sprung a 27-1 upset in the final, scoring in 1:53 for trainer-driver Ken Oliver.
“I hope they’re not too hard on us,” House told Harkness. “One thing is certain, they can’t take away the Gold Cup and Saucer trophy, or the beautiful cooler, or the fact that All The Weapons and Kenny Oliver won the 50th running of the Gold Cup and Saucer.”
This is the second year in a row that a horse raced in the Gold Cup and Saucer in violation of the 60-day rule. The owners of Match Bayama were fined last year after they raced that horse at Charlottetown (second in elim and seventh in final) after he had been claimed less than 60 days earlier at Georgian Downs.