A sponsorship of C$75,000 from the Grand River Agricultural Society has ensured the continuation of the Battle of Waterloo and the Battle of the Belles during the 2013 edition of the annual Industry Day Celebration at Grand River Raceway.
GRAS is the parent company of the Elora, Ont., track. The Board of Directors voted to extend the cash as a base for the races, which are the highlight of the track's annual Industry Day Celebration. This year marks the 23rd edition of the popular afternoon event which takes place on Monday, Aug. 5.
The sum will be split with C$50,000 going toward the total purse for the Battle of Waterloo and C$25,000 going toward the total purse for the Battle of the Belles.
The classification for these races remains the same as past years. The 16th annual Battle of Waterloo is for Ontario-sired 2-year-old pacing colts. The fifth annual Battle of the Belles is for Ontario-sired 2-year-old pacing fillies.
Both races have been extensively reformatted, including a single eligibility payment (versus three). This change was necessary for 2013, given the time restraints created by the delay of the Ontario racing calendar post-Slots At Racetracks Porgram.
Some of the 2013 highlights include:
There is only one nomination payment, which must be postmarked by April 30, 2013.
• Battle of Waterloo: $600 (US$620)
• Battle of the Belles: $400 (US$415)
• Battle of Waterloo Final: $100,000G|$125,000E
• Battle of the Belles Final: $60,000G|$75,000E
• Battle of Waterloo Elims: $12,500/division
• Battle of the Belles Elims: $10,000/division
• Battle of Waterloo Consolation: $20,000
• Battle of the Belles Consolation: $15,000
Elim Starting Fees:
• Battle of Waterloo Starting Fee: $750
• Battle of the Belles: $500
Grand River Raceway reminds all entrants that at press time, the race dates referred to in the conditions for the Battle of Waterloo and Battle of the Belles are subject to confirmation by the Ontario Racing Commission. (Grand River Raceway)