The Illinois Harness Horsemen's Association (IHHA) president Dave McCaffrey posted the following statement on the IHHA website, noting a contract agreement with Balmoral and Maywood Park:
After a negotiating session on Sunday (Dec. 19), the Illinois Harness Horsemen's Association and representatives from Maywood/Balmoral came to an agreement on a 2011 racing contract. The agreement was unanimously approved by the IHHA board of directors today.
The key elements to the bill are as follows:
1) Horsemen will continue to pay 30 percent of recapture owed in 2011; the same as in past years.
2) There will be a 5 percent purse increase starting January 1.
3) We will race 52 weeks in 2011.
4) We have significant downside protection to our purses in the event of a large decline of purses generated.
5) In an effort to increase field size, Balmoral Park will reduce the number of races per week from 36 to 33.