Meadows begins Adios week on Saturday
« Return to News
Eliminations for The Adios, the 46th edition of the "Pace for the Orchids,” are set for Saturday evening (first post 6:55 PM), with the final to go the following Saturday afternoon. Between those two events, The Meadows will offer top-flight racing from each Grand Circuit division as well as diverse activities designed to appeal to all.
"The Adios always is our signature event, but this year, it caps perhaps the most exciting month in our history,” said Mike Jeannot, president of Meadows Racing. "We all experienced the drama of Dave Palone's pursuit of Herve Filion's all-time career victory record — how gratifying it was that Dave broke the record right here — and we followed that up with our ‘Back to the Track' celebration. But there's much more to come.”
Highlights of Adios Week include:
- Tuesday, July 24 — All Player Rewards members are eligible for a handicapping contest with prizes that include seats in the Miller VIP Tent for the Adios final. First post is 12:55 PM.
- Wednesday, July 25 — It's Dave Palone Night, when the track and its fans honor Dave for becoming the "winningest” driver in North American harness racing history with 15,181 victories. Giveaways include Dave Palone hats and a keepsake 15,181 Journal. The card gets underway at 6:55 PM and features the $80,000 (est.) Henry Oliver for 2-year-old colt and gelding trotters. Meadows Live will air the draw for Adios final post positions at 6:30 PM while 970ESPN Radio will broadcast live at trackside from 4 PM to 7 PM.
- Thursday, July 26 — Headlining the festivities is the ever-popular "Miss Adios Contest,” with participants vying for a berth in the Swimsuit International USA event in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. As an added attraction, George Gray, the voice of the game show "The Price is Right,” will emcee the contest. Top race on the card, which kicks off at 6:55 PM, is the $100,000 (est.) Judge Joe McGraw for freshman filly trotters.
- Friday, July 27 — The action is non-stop, beginning with the Hanover Adios Yearling Sale at 1 PM. In the evening, fans may visit the Miller Tent on the apron for attractive food and beverage specials, and they'll enjoy the $80,000 (est.) Ned McCarr for 3-year-old filly trotters and the $65,000 (est.) James Manderino for 3-year-old colt and gelding trotters. The card begins at 6:55 PM. WJPA Radio will broadcast live at trackside from 5 PM to 7 PM. In the race book during Friday's card, patrons can hone their floral arranging skills by observing the assembly of the blanket of orchids to be presented to the Adios champion.
- Saturday, July 28 — The Adios final program begins at 12:20 PM and also offers the $150,000 (est.) Quinton L. Patterson Adioo Volo for 3-year-old filly pacers, the $100,000 (est.) Gov. Lawrence for freshman colt and gelding pacers and the $100,000 (est.) Catherine Baker Knoll for 2-year-old filly pacers. 970ESPN Radio will broadcast live from the race book from noon until 2 PM while WJPA will offer live coverage of the Adios final beginning at 3:45 PM. (The Meadows)