« » »
{{ day.day }} {{ day.day }}

Now no Nat Ray for the Way

July 21, 2005
HOME PRINT

« Return to News
Last week trainer and co-owner Dave Tingley told harnessracing.com that he hoped his 4-year-old trotting mare Peaceful Way would receive an invitation to the Nat Ray where she would take on male competition such as Mr. Muscleman. A few days later, on the eve of Peaceful Way's July 23 start at the Meadowlands in the third leg of the Classic Series, Tingley has told the Meadowlands' publicity department that things have changed.



Tingley said plans now do not include a Nat Ray start, and that the reason is because of a reported 50-percent interest in the mare being purchased from Tingley and partners Angie Stiller and Joe and Barbara Myers' Goin My Stable by Canadian breeders Al Libfeld and Marvin Katz.



"It's my understanding that part of the deal with the new partners is to not go against Mr. Muscleman in the Nat Ray (on Aug. 6 at the Meadowlands), if we were to get in invitation," said Tingley. "I'm not afraid of him and there's certainly no shame in finishing second to him. Even Trevor (driver Trevor Ritchie) wants to sit on his back and take a shot at him. That's why we skipped last week. Personally, I'd like her to try the boys. I think she can trot in 1:51, especially now that she's good and we've got her under control. Some guys up here (Ontario) think she can go in 1:50.



"The concern is she'll get discouraged if she loses to Mr. Muscleman, but I don't believe that," he added. said Tingley, "She's made breaks and lost before, and she has a month to recover before the Breeders Crown up here."



Peaceful Way, a perfect four-for-four this year, has a career total of 23 wins in 29 starts for earnings of more than $1.5 million. Most of her successes have come in Ontario, including a victory in the Armbro Flight in 1:52.1 at Mohawk on July 2 and a Classic Series leg on June 4, her season's debut, at Woodbine.
« Return to News