« » »
{{ day.day }} {{ day.day }}

Strangles at Indy Downs

May 20, 2005
HOME PRINT

« Return to News
Two horses at Indiana Downs showing classic signs of strangles prompted the track to cancel live racing Thursday evening, May 19. Indiana Downs is presently holding its Thoroughbred meet. Its harness meet is scheduled to begin July 1.



Both suspected horses, stabled in the receiving barn, were immediately transported to Purdue University for quarantine earlier in the day while the more than 30 horses that remained were tested for the respiratory disease.



Track management cancelled racing because the ponies used by outriders are part of the lot currently under quarantine. They are working to obtain additional ponies, as well as free up needed stall space to accommodate ship-ins to the Shelbyville facility.



"Our concern is for our equine athletes," Indiana Downs general manager Jon Schuster said in a release posted on the track's web site. "The horses and their safety have been considered in every decision that has been made and will continue to be our primary concern."



According to Schuster each horse that enters the grounds is required to have a valid health certificate. He said both Thoroughbreds in question had valid certificates.

« Return to News